Tuesday, January 22, 2008

More Hilary Half-Truths

Today's Clinton misinformation comes to us from - Health Care and misrepresenting Mr. Obama.

The video can be found here:



http://www.youtube.com/v/eAkIidChxic



And here's the text that they're referencing:

“So the challenge is, how do we get federal government to take care of this business? I happen to be a proponent of a single payer health care program. I see no reason why the United States of America the wealthiest country in the history of the world, spending 14% of its Gross National Product on health care cannot provide basic health insurance to everybody. And that’s what Jim is talking about when he says everybody in, nobody out.



"A single payer health care plan, a universal health care plan. And that’s what I’d like to see. And as all of you know, we may not get their immediately. Because first we have to take back the White House, we have to take back the Senate, we have to take back the House.” (2003)




And, from last night's debate, Mr. Obama mentioned he had never proposed single payer health care.

Wait - but I thought that Mr. Obama wasn't proposing a single payer health care system! Surely, this proves he's lying! Someone, fetch my smelling salts and a hanky!

Or - that's what you'd like the Clinton campaign to have you believe.

The truth is here at the Obama fact check site, and can be narroed down into this:

Here's the bottom line. If I were designing a system from scratch I would probably set up a single-payer system...But we're not designing a system from scratch...And when we had a healthcare forum before I set up my healthcare plan here in Iowa there was a lot of resistance to a single-payer system. So what I believe is we should set up a series of choices....Over time it may be that we end up transitioning to such a system. For now, I just want to make sure every American is covered...I don't want to wait for that perfect system


In other words, sure, he'd like a single payer system. Odds are, we're not going to get that in 4 years. So you step it up. Get more care for all children. Start with someone everyone (well, unless you're Mr. Bush who vetoes child care bills) can agree on - then go from there.

I really need to come up with a Clinton Bullshit list, because I'm getting a little annoyed about it.

No comments: