Monday, January 28, 2008

A Macacca moment?

You've probably seen it by now -



It's been on the news. Over and over again.

Bill Clinton could have said "Well, John Edwards won South Carolina in 2004, and he ran a good campaign." You know who else won South Carolina?

Bill Clinton, in 1992, if I remember correctly.

But the importance is the moment, where Bill is basically sayiing "Well, South Carolina doesn't matter, because we expected the black vote to go here." This moment stung in the minds of people - here in Florida, I know a lot of black people pissed by it when I was going door to door to remind them to vote on Tuesday (even though the vote "doesn't matter").

It was almost a moment like this one:



Allen started with "Oh, I'm Mr. Positive - and here's Macaca over here!"

It was played over. And over. And over again, and it probably lost Allen the election, and his chances at running for president some day himself.

I can't help but wonder if this isn't Bill Clinton's Macaca moment. It's been on the news over. And over. And over again. And then afterwards, when Ms. Clinton gave the congratulations that lasted 5 seconds.

It almost smacked of "Well, South Carolina - we didn't think it was worth fighting for. I wasn't even in the state at the time when it was over."

I don't know if it will last until next Tuesday. I don't know if Clinton will "sweep" Florida, or just barely win it. But I think that this clip of Clinton's Macaca moment will hurt them for a loooooong time.

Blogged with Flock

No comments: