Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The only thing Wright has ever said that might offend someone

Wright does have one thing that people keep harping on: his statement on AIDS. I can't seem to find it. Evidently, he said something akin to "AIDS was invented to kill black people." I don't know when he was suppose to have said it, so if someone gives me a chapter/verse, thanks.

That said, it sounds kind of insane. I mean - it's like not white people have given black people diseases on purpose.

Unless - you remember "Tuskegee Study of Untreated Syphilis in the Negro Male", where black people with syphilis were given no treatment, not informed of the disease they had - and were allowed to go insane and die to find out what would happen.

I guess when you put that in perspective, maybe the fear that AIDS had been invented to kill black people stops sounding so crazy. Sure, it's a fallacy, and I really would love to know what Wright was suppose to have said it (the 80's? Might make some sense - nobody knew where it came form. By the mid 90's, that's a little odder).

No comments: