Monday, December 10, 2007

Rape in Iraq - I thought it couldn't get worse

Female American citizen, raped multiple times in multiple physical locations I can't bring myself to mention by her fellow KBR/Halliburton employees. Then locked in a container for 24 hours and told if she sought medical attention, she would be fired.

She finally got to a phone from one of the guards, called her father, who called his congressman, who got the state department involved. When they got her out of the container, Army doctors verified she had been raped multiple times.

Here's the part that kills me:

Jones told ABCNews.com that an examination by Army doctors showed she had been raped "both vaginally and anally," but that the rape kit disappeared after it was handed over to KBR security officers.


WHY IN GOD'S HOLY NAME DID THEY HAND OVER THE RAPE KIT TO KBR SECURITY OFFICERS? What the hell is going on here?

And evidently, they're going to get away with it. Why? Because there's a "get out of jail free" card for all contractors in Iraq, so nobody from the US government is even bothering to investigate it. Even worse, now that she's filed a civil suit, Halliburton says:

1. Well, we've "divested" ourselves of KBR, so we're not responsible. (I have the feeling everything bad that Halliburton/KBR has done in Iraq will be blaimed on KBR so the parent company isn't hurt).

2. Because she was an employee, we get to hire an arbiter for the case, so she can't go to trial.

The story speaks for itself. I don't know what to do with my outrage. I really don't.

Source: ABC News

No comments: